THIS BOOK IS ON BACKORDER. Our first two shipments of this book are SOLD OUT, and we won't get any more until approximately January 28th. If you pre-order it now, your other items will ship now, and this book will ship approximately Jan. 28th.
In Unchained: A Van Halen User Manual, Martin Popoff emcees, drink foisted high, a kaleidoscopic celebration of Eddie, Alex, Mikey, Diamond Dave, Sammy and even Gary and Wolfgang.
Indeed, in the spirit of the title, rock historian and music journalist Martin Popoff unchains himself from typical bookish flow, creating a guide to make full-bodied mastery of one’s Van Halen catalogue, sending the user and abuser scurrying back to the songs, headphones on, looking for sonic nuggets likely missed the first hundred times passed during too light a repast.
And so, over the course of these pages, look for meditations swirling around the following:
- Top 20 Alex moments
- Top keyboard songs
- Album covers critiqued and ranked
- Analysis through the words of the band members on each album
- Sammy very frankly on his relationship with the guys
- Lengthy analysis of the US Festival
- Van Halen songs in movies and TV
- Origins of the songs on A Different Kind of Truth
- Covers by Van Halen in the club days as well as after the band’s signing
- A history of tapping
- Alex’s kits over the years
- Full timeline birth to the present
- 20 connections to Montrose
- Top 20 covers of Van Halen
- History of Dave solo with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan
- Top 20 rarities
- Sound effects and ear candy
- The Sam and Dave tour
- List of support acts
- Top tribute acts
- The Hall of Fame fiasco
- A look at the band’s gold and platinum certifications
- Four-fold appendices presenting fan comments and poll results of songs, album, Eddie solos and most contentiously, Sam vs. Dave
All of this is handled through a symphony of recurring pull-boxes spanning the otherwise sturdy chapter-per-album framework, peppered as well by both black-and-white and colour images. To reiterate, the intention, once the manual’s been studied, is full mastery on the part of the listener of one’s personal Van Halen library. Time to love Van Halen all over again, and here’s the manual to get you there.
308 pages, Paperback, 6" x 9”.
About the author:
Martin Popoff is the author of 78 books on hard rock, heavy metal, classic rock and record collecting. He was Editor in Chief of the now retired Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, Canada's foremost heavy metal publication in print for fourteen years, and has also contributed to Revolver, Guitar World, Goldmine, Record Collector, BraveWords, lollipop.com and hardradio.com. Martin has been a regular contractor to Banger Films, having worked on the award-winning documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, the eleven-episode Metal Evolution, and the ten-episode Rock Icons, both for VH1 Classic. Martin currently resides in Toronto.
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!